• 出版社/出版日：Mordor Intelligence / 2021年2月15日
|Single User||￥548,250 (USD4,250)||▷ お問い合わせ|
|Team User||￥612,750 (USD4,750)||▷ お問い合わせ|
|Corporate License||￥967,500 (USD7,500)||▷ お問い合わせ|
The Paper Cups Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.72% over the forecast period (2021-2026). Disposable Paper Cups are gaining popularity as these cups do not require any cleaning and can be easily disposed of after use. Also, the emergence of ‘on-the-go’ paper cups suits the busy lifestyles and schedules of consumers.
– The major demand for Paper Cups is being generated by the Food Service Industry across the globe. The rising trend of takeaways has generated a need for paper cups. Indicative of this is the growing demand for short-run custom printed cups that majorly used by individual coffee and ice cream shops that need lower volumes and fast deliveries. Huhtamaki to better serve this segment of the foodservice industry acquired CupPrint in 2018. Further, more than 225 million customers in the United States, one of the leading fast-food markets in the world are expected to use disposable cups by 2023, according to data released by the US Census Bureau.
– Driven by the factors mentioned above, there has been a boom in the use of paper cups across the globe. According to Paper Cup Alliance, 2.5 billion cups are sold on the high streets of the UK every year. According to estimates from the paper and recycling sector, 50 billion cups are used annually in the united states. Most of these cups, however, are single-use cups that are Polyethylene coated and hence are difficult to recycle. The foodservice industry alone generates 1-2% of Municipal Waste in the United States.
– This has led to the introduction of biodegradable cups with waterproof linings made from bioplastics derived from corn, sugarcane or potatoes is expected to proliferate the market. These bio-degradable materials make paper cups suitable for industrial decomposition. Addressing sustainability concerns, these cups are expected to limit the use of plastic cups further.
– Additionally, the regulations on the ban on the use of single-use plastics are expected to boost the market as many countries gradually phase out the use of plastics. According to a recent UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme) report at least 27 countries across the globe have now enacted laws enforcing some degree of bans on single-use plastics. This is expected to limit the use of plastic cups across the globe. However, the use of conventional paper cups that make use of synthetic polymer linings is also likely to be affected by such regulations.
– However, the paper cups market is becoming a volume market with very little product differentiation and innovation. This is driving down profits, and many major players like Coveris have stopped investing in the market. This is expected to slow down the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Emergence of Bio-Degradable Paper Cups is Expected to Drive Market Expansion
– Conventional paper cups are coated with Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE) that is used for paper coating due to its high resistance to water and grease. These cups are suitable for being used in cups to carry juice, hot beverages, dairy and soft drinks. However, the difficulty of industrially decomposing synthetic polymer-coated paper cups has led to the rise of biodegradable cups with comparable performance.
– Poly Lactic Acid, a biobased thermoplastic polymer derived from renewable resources, is used in the lining of bio-degradable paper cups. The two major advantages for PLA coated cups are – they do not require an additional step in recycling to separate the PE from the paper. When the recycling process is undertaken, PLA does not interfere with the process.
– Eden Springs recently introduced a fully compostable and biodegradable plant-based water cup, that can be used for both cold and hot beverage. Lavazza Professional introduced KLIX Eco Cup, a new recyclable and biodegradable product.
– However, the cost of PLA is higher as compared to synthetic plastics like LDPE, thus making it the primary restraining factor in its widescale use. This is expected to slow down the adoption of PLA coated cups as a majority of the end-user segments are small units with limited capital.
Asia-Pacific to be the Fastest Growing Market for Paper Cups
– Asia-pacific has been continually experiencing growth in per-capita incomes along with rising urbanization. This coupled with a strong coffee and tea consumption culture is expected to drive the need for the use of paper cups in the future as convenience foods continue to rise in popularity in this region.
– This can be corroborated by having a closer look at the sales figures of Starbucks in the region. Revenue of Starbucks has quadrupled in Asia-pacific between 2013 and 2018, growing from USD 1.13 billion to USD 4.47 billion by 2018. In China alone, the company reported third-quarter revenue of CNY 1.54 billion higher than most expectations of analysts. The expansion of the market is further vindicated by the growth of Chinese coffee startup Luckin that announced plans to open 2,500 new stores and overtake Starbucks Corporation in the country.
– Major Asian markets like India are considered under-penetrated in terms of Softdrinks consumption. With the change in this data, the need for paper cups is also expected to increase. According to Varun Beverage, PepsiCo’s India bottling partner, the soft drink consumption in the country is expected to double by 2021 from 2019.
– Additionally, the ban on single-use plastics is expected to drive the growth in the use of paper cups in the region. Countries like Indonesia and Thailand are enforcing bans by 2020 and 2021 respectively. Further, China has instructed the restaurant industry of the country to reduce the use of single-use plastic items by at least 30%.
The competitive landscape of the market is becoming increasingly fragmented leading due to the entry of several small players in the emerging markets. In the developed economies though the market remains relatively consolidated as compared to developing economies. Some of the recent developments in the market are as follows: –
– In October 2019 – Genomelabs Bio Private Limited launched ‘EAT CUP’ which is an eco-friendly and biodegradable cup made from natural grain products. The cup produced is itself edible making it suitable for any kind of beverage consumption.
– In May 2019 – Stora Enso introduces renewable paperboard cups. The cups have been produced without a traditional plastic coating and is designed for full fiber recovery. It is suitable for hot and cold drinking cups, as well as for ice cream packaging.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
– The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
– 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Emergence of Bio-Degradable Paper Cups
5.1.2 The Rising Demand for ‘On-the-go’ Cup
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Recyclability Issues with Conventional Paper Cups
6 COVID-19 IMPACT ON THE DISPOSABLE PACKAGING INDUSTRY
7 ENVIRONMENTAL & REGULATORY ISSUES
8 MARKET SEGMENTATION
8.1 By Cup Type
8.1.1 Hot Paper Cups
8.1.2 Cold Paper Cups
8.2 By End-user
8.2.1 Quick Service Restaurants
8.2.3 Other End-Users
8.3 By Wall Type
8.3.1 Single-Wall Paper Cups
8.3.2 Double-Wall Paper Cups
8.3.3 Triple-Wall Paper Cups
8.4.1 North America
8.4.3 Asia Pacific
8.4.4 Rest of The World
9 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
9.1 Company Profiles
9.1.1 International Paper Company
9.1.2 Dart Container Corporation
9.1.3 Konie Cups International Inc.
9.1.4 Huhtamaki OYJ
9.1.5 Kap Cones Private Limited
9.1.6 Eco-Products, Inc. (Waddington North America)
9.1.7 Phoenix Packaging Operations, LLC
9.1.8 Shanghai Xinyu Paper Cup Co., Ltd.
9.1.9 DONGYANG KANGBAO Paper Cups CO., Ltd (Alibaba)
9.1.10 Benders Paper Cups
9.1.11 Georgia Pacific LLC (Koch Industries, Inc.)
9.1.12 Nippon Paper Industries Co.
9.1.13 Lollicup USA, Inc.
9.1.14 Genpak LLC (Great Pacific Enterprises, Inc.)
10 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
11 FUTURE OF THE MARKET